In this Useful Books Community Q&A, we’re joined by [Jake Knapp], designer extraordinaire (Google Ventures and more) and author of Sprint and Make Time.
Timestamps & topics
- 0:00 Well here we are
- 0:26 Why Jake is great
- 1:14 Where the books came from?
- 4:11 On starting to write (& NaNoWriMo)
- 6:00 Business & reputation
- 7:58 Self-doubt, de-risking, and blogging as book v1
- 9:49 Education vs. entertainment
- 12:02 Structure, organization, & clarity
- 14:44 The one-week prototype & ToC
- 15:40 Learning from experts & friends
- 18:13 Audience & marketing
- 19:51 Word of mouth and what publishers can’t do
- 23:35 Why not selfpub?
- 24:46 Perils of cover design
- 27:48 On writing something that works
- 30:23 Devin being handsome & Jake laughing
📺 Nir Eyal on selling a million copies via curiosity, learning, and sharing: Q&A with the bestselling author of Hooked and Indistractable
📺 How an Academic Turned Innovation Expert Created Massively Successful Books : Tendayi Viki on sounding pretentious and other mistakes authors make
📺 How to Turn 12-year olds into Published Authors: Emma Barnes on the publishing industry and its future
📺 How Janel Loi Sold Thousands of Dollars With her Notion products: Advice on pricing, positioning, and getting started
📺 Editor Adam M Rosen on How Authors Screw Up Their Books: The traps self-publishing authors fall into